On Monday, July 2nd and 12:43 pm our sweet little miracle Jemma Dee Smith came into this world! Jemma weighed 6 lbs. 15 oz and was 18 inches long! She also had tons of curly brown hair and dark blue eyes. The road to Jemma's delivery was not an easy one and required me being induced. I won't go into details but all I will say is that contractions brought on by pitocin are ten times more painful than normal ones and I should know because I had Maizie naturally. I held out for 12 hours of hard core labor (which did not help me dialate at all) before I finally broke down and asked for an epidural. The doctors all assumed that it would be several more hours before Jemma arrived since the pitocin didn't seem to be making me dialate quickly but one hour after getting the epidural Jemma was born. Needless to say by the time she was born I was emotionally and physically exhausted!
As soon as Jemma made her way into this world though I instantly felt all my tiredness melt away as I stared at my beautiful daughter. Doctor Bryne held her out to me so I could touch her head and then swiftly passed her through a window to the U of U's NICU. Dan got to follow Jemma and I anxiously waited to hear how she was doing. Luckily Jemma seemed to be doing great and didn't need extra oxygen so the life flight team from Primary Childrens wheeled her by my bed before they left and let me hold her for 2 minutes. When Jemma was placed in my arms all I could do was cry because I knew that I was holding a miracle.
Dan followed Jemma to Primary's where Dan, his dad, and my dad were able to give her a blessing before the doctors began to check her out. To make a long story short, Jemma's heart and head both looked really good and do not require surgery at this time. All in all, Jemma had the best case scenario possible at this point for her two birth defects. Four days after being born Jemma was able to come home. Maizie is so excited to be a big sister and is always wanting to help! Dan and I love our little girls!
There are still a lot of appointments ahead for Jemma and a lot of having to "wait and see" but I know without a doubt in my mind that Heavenly Father blessed Jemma to come into our family. She is a living, breathing miracle and we feel so blessed to have her as part of our family. We would like to say thank you to all our family and friends who have shown us all of there love and support. It is amazing to us how many people care about our little family and our sweet girls. Thank you all again and please continue to send prayers our way. I will try my hardest to keep my blog updated. Love you all!!!
Waiting to be induced...
The life flight team taking her to Primarys.
In the NICU at Primarys.
Proud Daddy!!!
Our little miracle baby!!!!!



4 comments:
I'm totally crying after reading this. So happy for you guys, and grateful to see Jemma is doing well. Looks like she was in good hands, as I recognized the Life Flight Nurses. Thoughts and prayers are with you guys!
Congratulations, she is so beautiful!
Wow congratulations you guys! What a beautiful girl! And wow, what a story to read, she is a perfect little miracle! Prayers coming your way as her little life begins, may miracles continue your way! Zach and Natalie Lewis
I loved reading this story. What a blessing that things turned out so well and that she is okay. What a beautiful baby girl!
Post a Comment